Friday, December 13, 2013

The night I poured my 17-month-old a Coke...

I'm sure you can tell by the title that this is going to be an interesting post. I really don't know what else to do, though. Landon is sick- he has been having a horrific vomit fest all night. Our closest children's hospital is 2 hours away. On one hand, I don't want to let this go to the point where we miss Carson's birthday and Christmas Eve because we are in the hospital. On the other hand, it is late at night, the other boys are in bed, we would have a lot of packing to do, and the roads are icy and expected to get worse. We don't want to take Landon in unless it is completely necessary, and the key to that is to keep him hydrated while we hope and pray he responds to things we can do from home. It's safe to say at this point that his last round of Botox is completely worn off, and even the full dose of Flagyl and 2 irrigations per day isn't keeping enterocolitis away. Why does this have to be the weekend? If I call Cincinnati they will put me on the line with a resident and he or she will tell me to take Landon up there. Unlike Dr. Levitt, the resident will not be aware of how much experience we have with enterocolitis, irrigations, and managing this stupid disease while doing everything we can to keep him hydrated.

Which brings me to the title. A little background: we are a very healthy lifestyle family. We eat mostly natural, organic, and unprocessed. Carson and Austin have never tasted a caffienated soda. Maybe twice a year as a special treat we will let them order a rootbeer or Sprite when we're out to eat, but that's it. Unfortunately, though, my title is a true event. I poured Landon a Coke in a sippy cup and he drank about half a can. What else is there to do when your son is vomitting profusely and you desperately need to get clear liquids in him. And he refuses Pedialyte. And he refuses water. And he refuses apple juice. You bet he guzzled down the Coke though. Thank God he did because it was my last resort.

Please keep Landon in your prayers the next couple weeks. He has another round of Botox scheduled for the 30th and so we need him to hang on through the holidays without landing in the hospital AGAIN. This poor child spent the better part of his first 3 months of life in the hospital, and his 1st birthday, and as most probanly remember we had to rush him to the hospital on Carson's 4th birthday last year and missed Christmas Eve and drove all night just so we could be back for the boys to get their gifts from Santa Christmas morning. I want nothing more than not to have a repeat of last year, so please keep him in your prayers!

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you as a Mother everyone would do the same. I had an experience with my second child first Son and I even watered down his 2 percent milk and watered down tea so he could keep something down . I went through his first year of wondering if he was going to make it. I had moved away from family so it was only me with God's will to keep him alive! You have God and everyone's prayers . you are a brave Mother! keep asking for prayers and keep on praying!

    ReplyDelete